With summer just around the corner and families planning out their vacations, WalletHub today released its report on 2018’s Most Fun States in America.
To determine the states offering the greatest variety and most cost-effective options for enjoyment, the experts compared the 50 states across 26 key metrics. The data set ranges from movie costs to accessibility of national parks to casinos per capita.
Top 20 Most Fun States in America:
1 California 11 Oregon
2 New York 12 Louisiana
3 Nevada 13 Ohio
4 Florida 14 Missouri
5 Illinois 15 Wisconsin
6 Washington 16 Michigan
7 Texas 17 Arizona
8 Colorado 18 North Carolina
9 Pennsylvania 19 South Carolina
10 Minnesota 20 Maryland
• California has the most movie theaters (per square root of population), 0.0861, which is 8.4 times more than in Delaware, the state with the fewest at 0.0103.
• California has the most restaurants (per square root of population), 4.9536, which is 7.4 times more than in North Dakota, the state with the fewest at 0.6655.
• Texas has the most amusement parks (per square root of population), 0.0143, which is 20.4 times more than in West Virginia, the state with the fewest at 0.0007.
• California has the most fitness centers (per square root of population), 0.6440, which is 8.8 times more than in Hawaii, the state with the fewest at 0.0732.
• Minnesota has the highest personal spending on recreation services per capita, $2,212, which is 4.3 times higher than in Mississippi, the state with the lowest at $513.