A resort on the outskirts of Mali’s capital, Bamako, that’s popular with foreigners was attacked on Sunday, leaving at least two people dead, days after the United Nations chief warned that insecurity in the West African nation is spreading.
Special forces and soldiers were at the scene to track down the assailants, Baba Cisse, a spokesman of the security ministry, said by phone. The attack occurred at Le Campement Kangaba, near the suburb of Dougourakoro, and the situation is under control, army spokesman Diarran Kone said by phone.
A French-Gabonese citizen was killed, said Cisse. The second person was from Angola, according to Mauritanian newspaper al-Khabar, citing Malian sources it didn’t name. Four people were injured while security forces freed 36 visitors of the resort, Cisse said.
“All the clients at the hotel have been rescued,” he said. “Some terrorists have been neutralized.”
Insecurity is spreading in Mali and across its borders as the number of attacks rose and new armed groups emerged over the past year, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said in a report published last week.
Sunday’s assault follows less than two years after Islamist militants carried out an attack on the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako in November 2015, killing more than 20 people. Mali has been gripped by violence since ethnic Tuareg rebels began an insurgency in the north of the country and joined forces with Islamist militants in 2012.
Culled from Bloomberg.com