- Wear a life jacket
- Stay close to shore if you’re not an experienced swimmer
- Do not mix alcohol and swimming. Alcohol causes swimmers to fatigue faster than normal and can create dangerous situations.
- For parents, please keep an eye on your children at all times. In less than a minute they can slip into the water and be put at risk for injury or death.
- Prepare your boat for the season to make sure it is in excellent operating condition.
- Make sure to have proper communication devices with you and notify family or friends of your plans so they can know when to expect your return.
- Finally, get some insurance, if you don’t have one yet.